Professor Smiljana Štajner Katušić, M.D., Ph.D.
Degree, Vocation and Occupation:
Professor, M.D., Ph.D., Scientific adviser,
Clinical Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, School ofMedicine University of Zagreb
Phoniatrishen, medical licensure MD No 3137 (approved by the Croatian Medical Council)
Degree, Vocation and Occupation:
Professor, MD. PHD., Scientific adviser, Professor of Clinical Otorhinolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, School of Medicine University of Zagreb
Phoniatrishen, medical licensure MD No 3137 (approved by the Croatian Medical Council)
Education/Training at a Number of Renowned International Departments and Institutes:
Specialization and subspecialization were performed at Sestre Milosrdnice Clinical University Hospital Center, Department of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Zagreb, Croatia, EU, Royal National Hospital, The Institute of Laryngology and Otology, London, GB, EU and AKH Wien, Austria, EU.
She defended her Master's thesis entitled: „A new method of studying the pathology of larynx and hypopharynx“, and her doctoral dissertation entitled: „A Contribution to the Study of Laryngeal Cancer with Special Reference to Supraglottis“.
Diagnostic and Scientific Interest:
Phoniatrics, diagnosis and treatment of hoarseness, laryngeal videostroboscopy, acoustic analysis of the voice, examination and diagnosis of ear, nose, oral cavity and area and pharynx and vocal cords in all age groups and in speech professionals, hygiene of voice and speech. Examination of the vocal cords before any surgery under general anesthesia. Early recognition of throat and laryngeal diseases and other head and neck areas with endoscopy of the entire ENT area.
Duties and Functions:
Associate Professor, Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery: School of Medicine, University of Zagreb, Croatia, EU
Head, Reference Center for Communication Diseases of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Croatia.
Head, Phoniatrics at the DepartmentofENT and Head and Neck Surgery of the Sestre Milosrdnice University Hospital Center, Zagreb, Croatia, EU.
Head, course Phoniatrics at the postgraduate study at the School of Medicine, University of Zagreb, Croatia, EU.
Member, editorial board of the journal „Symposia Otorhinolaryngologica“.
Acting Head, ENT Polyclinic of the Department of ORL-Head and Neck Surgery of Sestre Milosrdnice, University Hospital Center, Zagreb, Croatia, EU.
Vice-president, Croatian Society of Audiology and Phoniatrics.
Residency, Sub-residency, Education:
She attended elementary and language high school in Zagreb, and graduated from Berkshire School Massachusetts, USA. She graduated from the School of Medicine at the University of Zagreb, Croatia, EU and completed her postgraduate studies in otorhinolaryngology-head and neck surgery at the School of Medicine, University of Zagreb, Croatia, EU. She received her master's and doctoral degrees from the School of Medicine, University of Zagreb. The research was conducted at the Institute of Laryngology and Otology in London, GB, EU and Sestre Milosrdnice University Hospital Center, Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Zagreb, Croatia, EU. She passed the specialist examination for Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at the Department of ENT and Head and Neck Surgery at the Clinical Hospital Center Zagreb. As an ENTpostgraduate student, specialist and subpecialist in Phoniatrics, she has worked in the department of the General ENT Clinic of Department of ENT and Head and Neck Surgery ENT Polyclinic, and for the last 23 years as the Head of the Phoniatrics at the Department of ENT and Head and Neck Surgery of the Sestre milosrdnice University Hospital Center, Zagreb, Croatia, EU.
Today she works at the Klapan Medical Group Polyclinic, Ilica 191 A, Zagreb, Croatia, EU. She stands out in professional, scientific and teaching activities at theDepartment of ENTand head and neck surgery of the Sestre milosrdniceUniversity Hospital Center, Zagreb, Croatia, EU. She is especially active in laryngology and phoniatrics in professional work, scientific research and teaching. She participated in the training of postgraduate students as the head of the phoniatrics colloquium in the education of postgraduate students in otorhinolaryngology at the Department of ENTand head and neck surgery. She also participated in the training of interns, nurses, speech therapists and phoneticians. She is the mentor of numerous graduated papers at the School of Medicine and graduate work at the High School for Nurses as well as master's theses. She is a lecturer in postgraduate teaching in otorhinolaryngology at the School of Medicine, University of Zagreb, she is the head of the course of Phoniatrics and teaches in the course of Laryngology.
Scientific and Clinical Activities:
- postgraduate teaching of „Mother and Child Protection“, „School Medicine“ and „Oncology“,
- “Voice and Speech after Total Laryngectomy” (book), for postgraduate studies in otorhinolaryngology,
- she offered an elective course „Voice and Speech after Total Laryngectomy“ for education of medical students,
- contributions in rhinology, phoniatrics and laryngology, she co-authored several undergraduate textbooks for students at the School of Medicine and the School of Dental Medicine, University of Zagreb,
- she has taught students of Phonetics for the subject of laryngology, at the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Zagreb, in undergraduate teaching
- exercises for phonetics students at the Departmentof Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery (for years),
- member of the commissions for the evaluation and defense of the doctorate in phonetics at the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Zagreb,
- examiner in the Ministry of Health examinations for ENT specialists who make degree of phoniatrics,
- reviewer of scientific projects of the Ministry of Science and Education of the Republic of Croatia, EU,
- she teached(postgraduate class)the field of „Phoniatrics“,
- and introduced regular video presentations of the diagnostics and treatment of vocal cords from her own clinical material.
- in the teaching process of phoniatrics in diagnostic presentation, she introduced a multimedia presentation of laryngoscopy and laryngeal videostroboscopy, followed by sound effects for learning about pathological conditions in voice and speech in phoniatry
- she introduced also the presentation of pathological voice changes recorded directly from patients in quiet chamber conditions
- Department of Otorhinolaryngology-head and neck surgary, with Audiology and Phoniatrics at the School of Medicine, University of Zagreb (since March 1993),
- and elected as a Associate Professor of ORL-head and neck surgery.
Scientific and Professional Work:
- spent a year of her specialization in otorhinolaryngology at the famous Institute of Laryngology and Otology in London, where she took an active part in the scientific and professional work (surgery program and outpatient work) of this world-renowned center,
- for 15 years, twice a year she has attended scientific and professional training at the AKH Clinic in Vienna, Department of Phoniatrics,
- completed 35 postgraduate courses during her clinical career,
- at the Department for Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery „Sestre milosrdnice“University Hospital Center, she had a specialization, and specialist work (23 years),mostly at the Division of Phoniatrics, as a head of the outpatient clinic.
- more than 120 papers, mostly in indexed journals, classified into a large number of scientific papers, professional papers and teaching texts,
- most of the published publications are in the field of phoniatrics and laryngology
- seventy-three (73) citations and numerous papers published in journals indexed in secondary publications,
- numerous international ENT-congresses and national congresses,
- her field of scientific and professional interest is diagnostics and treatment in phoniatrics and laryngology,
- introduced analysis of larynx preparations after surgery for total laryngectomy to analyze the evaluation of the success of resection of laryngeal carcinoma. In the interdisciplinary work at the Conference on Head and Neck Tumors, she compared these incisions with layers of CT larynx,
- founder(23 years ago) of the Phoniatric Outpatient Clinic at the Departmentof ORL-head and neck surgery,
- introduced the method of objective functional voice recording in phoniatry, as well as laryngeal videostroboscopic objective recording of vocal cords,
- developed a collaboration with speech therapists in speech rehabilitation of patients after larynx surgery,
- member of the numerous organizational committees of scientific research and professional meetings.
- active researcher in eight (8) scientific research projects, and for 23 years she is the head of scientific research projects of the Ministry of Science and Education of the Republic of Croatia,
- in the professional work, she was named as primarius, and was granted a narrow specialty in phoniatrics,
- Head of the Reference Center for Communication Diseases of the Ministry of Health since 2009.
- Croatian, mother language
- English (active knowledge)
Selected Original Publications:
- Štajner Katušić S, Horga D, Mušura M, Globlek D. Voice and speech after laryngectomy. Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics 2006;20:195-203.
- Štajner Katušić S, Horga D, Mušura M, Globlek D, Liker M. Voice and Speech after laryngectomy. 2nd International Symposium Tumors of the Head and Neck – Functional and Reconstructive Laryngeal Surgery. Zagreb, May 14-16, 2004, pp. 61-67.
- Štajner Katušić S, Horga D, Krapinec S. The Voice of Polypoid Vocal Folds before and after Surgery. In: Windsor F, Louise Kelly M, Hewlett N (eds). Investigations in Clinical Phonetics and Linguistics. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publishers, Mahwah, New Jersey, London, 2002, pp. 437-448.
- Štajner Katušić S, Hat J, Trotić R, Mušura M, Pegan B, Kalogjera L. Comparative analysis of transglottic carcinoma. Acta Clin Croat 1998;37(2):127-130
- Štajner Katušić S, Horga D, Sučić M. The speech timing strategies in alaryngeal subjects. 3rd European Congress of the European Federation of Oto-Rhino-Laryngological Societies, Budapest, June 9-14, 1996. Monduzzi editore, Bologna, 445-448.
- Horga D, Štajner Katušić, S, Speech compensatory mechanisms in alaryngeal speakers. Scientific and professional monograph of the VIIth International Symposium of the Verbotonal System, Zagreb, May 2011, pp 315-326
- Globlek D, Štajner Katušić S, Musura M, Horga D, Liker M. Comparison of alaryngeal voice and speech. Logoped Phoniatr Vocol 2004;29: 87-91
- Handžić-Ćuk J, Ćuk V, Rišavi R, Katušić D, Štajner Katušić S.Hearing levels and age in cleft palate patients. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 1996;37:227-242.
- Handžić-Ćuk J, Ćuk V, Rišavi R, Katić V, Katušić D, Bagatin M, Štajner Katušić S,Gortan D. Pierre Robin syndrome: characteristics of hearing loss, effect of age on hearing level and possibilities in therapy planning. J Laryngol Otol 1996;110:830-835
- Trotić R, Kekić B, Ries M, Ivkić M, Kalogjera L, Bedeković V, Štajner Katušić S, Janušić R. The influence of radiotherapy on hearing threshold. Libri Oncol 1997;2:73-76.
- Štajner Katušić S,Horga D, Sučić M. Duration of bilabial consonants in oesophageal and normal speakers. Acta Clin Croat 1998;37(4):259-264
- Trotić R, Pegan B, Kekić B, Kalogjera L, Bedeković V, Ivkić M, Baudoin T, Ries M, Štajner Katušić S. Mandibular granular cell myoblastoma of the newborn. 7th International Congress of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, Helsinki, 1998. (CD-ROM)
- Kalogjera L, Glumbić I, Baudoin T, Rudnički M, Krušlin B, Štajner Katušić S. Correlation between eosinophil infiltration and hyperreactive response to distilled water challenge in chronic rhinosinusitis. Acta Clin Croat 1998;37(3):197-200.